Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Bonus Post: Tis the Season

Now starts the time of the year when we all begin spending a great deal of time with loved ones. It's a time of celebration, for looking back at the year that was, and gathering together to wait for the year that is to come next.

It's a time for noticing little things...little...specific...detailed things.

Here's a definition that I found for gratitude that I really liked:
Gratitude is an awareness and appreciation for the significance, quality, value, and magnitude of people or things.

I think the "magnitude" part is my favorite.

Imagery is something that writers use to appeal to our five senses. And they do that, naturally, because the more real you can make something for a reader, the more they are going to engage with it, and feel it. For this Special Edition Bonus (A.K.A. EXTRA CREDIT) Post, I want you to complete the following poem for yourself, being as specific as possible, and using good strong imagery. You just need to retype it and fill it in with your own images. Think about the places, people, smells, sounds, and feelings that you associate with this time of the year, and with being thankful in general, and make them specific. For instance, I might put that "Gratitude smells like my grandfather's cigar, even though I hate smoke, because the only time I smell it is when I'm sitting next to him." See? This will be fun.

Gratitude is...
Gratitude smells like...
Gratitude looks like...
Gratitude sounds like...
Gratitude tastes like...
Gratitude feels like...
Gratitude is...

P.S. I'm thankful for many things in my life, like my family (obviously) and my friends (also, obviously). But sometimes, maybe most of all, I'm thankful for you guys, for my students. Some days, without even knowing it, you guys make me feel better and more complete than I was the day before. You make me better at what I do, and sometimes, you make me better at being who I am. So thanks.

Happy Holidays kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home